Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Merluzzo Fresco al Pomodoro (Fresh Cod with Tomatoes)


Photo from La Cucina Italiana

























When I was pregnant last year I suffered from morning sickness for 20 weeks. Even after the morning sickness ended there were still a lot of things I just could not stomach. Salmon, chicken, SALTEENS, and Dijon mustard, were all casualties of the morning sickness.  I spent my days eating bagels, potato chips and other carby foods.  

I knew that I couldn't subsist on carbs for the whole pregnancy so I scoured my cookbooks and the internet for things that I might be able to tolerate. This recipe, from La Cucina Italiana, was one of my favorite finds. It is very tasty and easy to make. It is one of the few recipes I've tried that works perfectly without any modifications. 
 
Now that I'm back at work I really enjoy this recipe, because except for the cod, all of the other ingredients are in my cupboard. I pick up some fresh cod on my way home from work, then when I get home I put some basmati in the rice cooker,  and presto the fish is done by the time the rice is ready.

Buon appetito!

Merluzzo Fresco al Pomodoro

Ingredients
 
1 (24-ounce) can peeled tomatoes, preferably San Marzano, juices drained, tomatoes roughly chopped
  • 3/4 cup pitted black olives
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • Fine sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds cod fillet, cut into 2-inch square pieces (I use pacific cod and put oil, salt, and lemon on it prior to cooking.)

Instructions

In a large skillet with lid, combine tomatoes, olives, oil, bay leaves, thyme, sugar and generous pinch salt and pepper. Over medium heat, bring just to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook, covered, 20 minutes.

Add cod and continue to cook, uncovered, until cod is cooked through and sauce is flavorful, about 12 minutes more. Serve warm.
Find the original recipe HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment