Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Galentine's Day




Artwork by Michelle Taylor


For those of you who aren't Parks and Recreation fans, Galentine's Day is celebrated on February 13th. Here is P&R hero Leslie Knope's description:
“Oh, it’s only the best day of the year. Every Feb. 13, my lady friends leave our husbands and boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.”
This sounds like so much fun. Especially since my life now seems to be a constant loop of work, baby, work, baby. Don't get me wrong I'm happy on so many levels but I really do miss quality time my friends.

Here are five ways to celebrate Galentine's Day.

  1. Have Breakfast for Dinner: French toast and frittatas are to Galentine's Day what turkey and sweet potatoes are to Thanksgiving. If you live in D.C., you can always hit the Diner or Ted's Bulletin.

  1. Call your gal pals and have a full on conversation: I think all I do is text these days. A long phone call with an old friend is really a luxury.

  1. Get manis and pedis with your besties: No explanation necessary.

  1. Watch a marathon of Girls or old Gossip Girl episodes.

  1. Hand out your own old school Valentine's cards (corny I know).

  1. Throw your own Galentine's Day party: It doesn't have to be elaborate just have some ladies over for eggs, French toast and bloody marys. Of course here are some amazing Galentine's parties for those of you with a little extra time and creativity: Rue Magazine,Dream Box Photography, 100 Layer Cake, and Style Me Pretty.

P.S. Check out this video for a full explanation on Galentine's Day.

1 comment: