Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Carry On (Rest in Peace Philip Seymour Hoffman)


This morning my friend's facebook status update read:
"Was hoping that I'd wake up this morning and Phillip Seymour Hoffman would still be alive."
Rarely does someone's facebook update encapsulate how I feel.  I find it surprising I'm so moved by the passing of someone I never met.  The thing is  Philip Seymour Hoffman  seemed so approachable. I feel like he could have been a friend, or at least he bore a likeness to friends I've had, especially in college and in my early 20's.  He was that friend of a friend you always enjoyed having a beer with at a party or the person you would run into at the lunch room that had witty and heartfelt things to say. 

The saddest part about an untimely death is what it does to those who are left behind. I'm sure his friends and family knew him as Phil or Dad or Sweetie.  No doubt he was a complex person with immense talent, and a deadly addiction. To those who loved him and depended on him he was completely irreplaceable.   

For the rest of the us he was Philip Seymour Hoffman. A talented actor that had great roles in some of our favoroite movies. If I saw that Philip Seymour Hoffman was in an upcoming movie, I just knew the movie would be good, great, excellent.  For us moviegoers he was also completely irreplaceable.

Godspeed, Philip Seymour Hoffman.  

No comments:

Post a Comment