Saturday, April 26, 2014

Meat and Potatoes (Heavy Cooking)

It feels like I haven't cooked in ages. Since I returned to work we have done lots of takeout, sandwiches and my favorite, oatmeal for dinner. Now that we are all getting used to the new schedule I'm looking for new things to make that require little fuss. This recipe from, Dinner a Love Story is a bit heavier than I typically make, but I loved the simplicity of it.  

I tried this recipe twice, and each time, my husband and I were underwhelmed by the results.  I will say I liked the recipe more when we made a few modifications: using turkey sausage and reducing the number of apples.

Dinner a Love Story billed this recipe as a time saving recipe that you can make once a week. I'm not sure that our arteries would survive having a dish like this ever week. It's easy, and if you want to make a filling meal for your family quickly, this might be worth trying.

If you want to make the recipe healthier, I recommend using turkey sausage and just the tiniest bit of olive oil. 
 

You might ask why I would blog about a recipe that I don't love.  The answer is, I started blogging in part to try all of these recipes I've seen on blogs.  They always look so pretty, but sometimes they just don't pan out.  I think it's important that there is feedback out there, to say you know what these recipe looks awesome, but it doesn't taste awesome.

You can find the recipe here and here.


Baked Sausages with Apples and Potatoes

Ingredients

Olive Oil
4 Sprigs of Thyme
Salt and Pepper
1 Onion
4 Small- medium Potatoes
4 Pork Sausages
3-4 Granny Smith Apples
2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar

Directions

Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large baking dish, toss 2 cups small whole unpeeled potatoes (or 3 to 4 medium potatoes chopped), 1 medium onion (chopped artlessly in chunks), and leaves from 4 sprigs of fresh thyme with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, then toss in apples that have been cut into large chunks, and 4 uncooked sweet Italian sausages (about 1 pound). Turn heat down to 400°F and bake another 30 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, stir 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar into vegetables. Serve with dollops of grainy or Dijon mustard.











No comments:

Post a Comment