Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Happy (belated) Earth Day (Renew and Reuse)



Happy (belated) Earth Day People! 

I planned on doing this post yesterday for Earth Day, but I've been tending to a sick child and husband. But, Earth Day is everyday.

One of the best ways to help the environment is by consuming less.  Children's stuff becomes obsolete to your little one in no time, so buying second-hand items for your kids is really a no-brainer. 

When I was preparing for the arrival of my little one I acquired a lot of her items second-hand.  For Earth Day I wanted to post a list of places where I had luck finding second hand baby items.

Where have you found second-hand items for your little one?  


Handle with Karo's Go-To List for Second-Hand Baby and Maternity Stuff 

  1. The Northern Virginia Parents of Multiples Semi-Annual Sale-  As the title notes, this sale happens twice a year, typically in the spring and in the fall.  Get to the sale early and prepare for crowds.  I purchased a ton of stuff at this sale including but not limited to clothes, sleep sacks, a Baby Bjorn, a swing, a bouncer, and toys.
  2. Bellies and Babies Consignment Boutique- Located in Alexandria, Babies and Bellies, has both maternity and children's items.  I like this store, not just for its inventory, but also because the owner is really plugged into what's going on in the community. The inventory is listed online, so you can take a look at what they have before you make a trip to the store.  I found some great maternity pieces here.  If I hadn't been so lucky at the Multiples sale, I probably would have purchased some baby items here. 
  3. Craigslist- Sometimes shopping on Craigslist can be a huge drag.  But we were able to purchase our glider, a bathtub, and some storage baskets without too much of a problem.  I also use Craigslist to find toys, books, and other items I think my little one might be ready for.
  4. Neighborhood listserves- Washington is a city of neighborhoods, and I think almost every neighborhood has a listserve for its parents. Washington is a transient place, so families often find themselves trying to shed items for upcoming moves.  I have found the AU-Park Parents and the Logan Circle Parents' listserves to be the most helpful. 
  5. Your Friends and Coworkers- When people found out I was pregnant I was surprised at how many folks offered to give me their old stuff. I'm not typically one who solicits handouts, but once I figured out how expensive kids can be I readily accepted a lot of hand me downs from friends.  I'm hoping to return the favor to some expectant moms in the near future.
  6. Ebay- I've had luck with Ebay in the past for non-baby items.  I wanted to mention it because you can find a lot of designer baby clothes for good prices on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment