Thursday, May 29, 2014

On the Pulse of the Morning (Maya Angelou)





Maya Angelou passed away yesterday.

I remember listening to Maya Angelou read her poem, "On the Pulse of the Morning," during President Clinton's first inauguration. I watched it in Mrs. Levy's American History class. Sure I was interested in the inauguration, but I was also happy to have over an hour to tune-out and finish up some homework.

That was until Maya Angelou woke me up. She read her beautiful poem about America's history. In less then six minutes, Ms. Angelou rocked my world. I thought about that poem for days and that weekend I found my way to Books and Books where I bought a copy of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.

Thank you Ms. Angelou, for inspiring my teenage soul, for writing great books, for making great poetry, and for leading an amazing life.


Godspeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment