Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Gap's Miami Collection (Serious Nostalgia)

Jacket/Shirt/Shoes/Jeans/Bracelets/Bag/Glasses/Watch

Have you checked out the Gap's Miami Collection?  It really captures the essence of Miami circa the late 80's/early 90's. 

This wasn't necessarily Miami's finest moment for fashion or otherwise.  This was Miami before Madonna and Versace decided it was hip. 

A time when crime was rampant, Miami Vice was seeing the end of its run, the S&L crisis was rocking our city, Eastern and PanAm were shutting down, the Real Estate market was crumbling. . .   Times were tough for us Miami folk.  But, we still had our perfectly polished cars, acid washed jeans, muted pastels, and Oakleys to carry us through to the other side. 

So let's take a look at some of the collection's pieces:
  • The shirt?  I know I totally owned a sleeveless pastel shirt like that.  I love how it's longer in the back, because we all know that we only tucked our shirts in the front. 
  • Acid wash jeans?  Most definitely! Extra points if they were made by Guess or Farlow. 
  • The jacket?  I'm thinking my Mom and I would have probably had a major fight outside of Express. She would have refused to pay for it.  I would then have gone home and scrounged up gift money and babysitting funds to buy it myself. 
  • The shoes? I totally rocked the slip-on Keds, and you know you did too. 

I added the friendship bracelets, Seiko watch, and LeSportsac bag to give this ensemble the full effect.  Unfortunately, Liz Claiborne has not brought back her triangle monogrammed bags. 

So Gap, listen up I think you did a superb job of capturing this funny time and place near and dear to my heart. 

What do you think of the Gap's Miami Collection?  I'm thinking about getting the shoes, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment