Monday, November 3, 2014

Streamline Your Wardrobe (Nicky Hilton's 365 Style)


Post baby, I have really struggled with maintaining a sense of style. Like a lot of moms, fashion is not at the top of my list of priorities. My body is not the same, so all of my favorite wardrobe stables are 3-4 sizes too small. I don't really want to go shopping with what little free time I have these days.  And, I have far less disposable income than I once did.

In the past year, I've learned that the only way to maintain some sense of order in your life is to have systems, lists, and plans in place.  And I've just realized that I need a system so that I can leave my house looking somewhat decent. 

Enter Nicky Hilton's 365 Style where the hotel heiress lays out a system so that you can be fashionable regardless of the size of your tush or bank account. 
Here is the 3-6-5 formula:

3: Pinpoint your wardrobe needs by identifying 3 types of occasions you typically dress for. In my case, work, Gymboree, and dinner/drinks out.

6: The number of basic pieces you pick per season. These should be items you typically wear like a coat, jeans, blazer, etc.

5: The number of accessories you wear regularly.  For example in the winter you might religiously wear a cashmere scarf whereas in the summer you might have two pairs of sunglasses on your accessories short list.

When you go out shopping, buy only pieces that work with the elements in this equation. It is after all so much easier so look into your closet and say "I really need a white button down," rather than, "I have nothing to wear." Looking good is really is as simple as 1-2-3 or ahm 3-6-5.

Do you have a system for maintaining your wardrobe?

And here is my post about packing for a weekend trip.

1 comment: