Friday, July 18, 2014

Ice Cream Social (The Beauty of the Ice Cream Sammie)




Prettied up store bought ice cream sammies via Stephanie Lynn
This Sunday is National Ice Cream Day. In honor of this special day, I wanted to take a moment to talk about ice cream sandwiches.  We had them at my daughter's birthday party and I have been eating the leftovers ever since.  Until last week, I don't think I have enjoyed an ice cream sandwich since I was a kid. I do hope to have them at her birthday parties for as long as she will let me.

We kept our sandwiches simple and just bought what our local Safeway had available. But a quick search on pinterest tells me that you can do a lot with these fun novelties.


For example, you can dip store bought ice cream sandwiches into sprinkles (see above and below).


Celebration ice cream sandwich "Cake" via Kim C Crary
You can also take store bought cookies and fill them with your own ice cream. 

Oreo Cookie ice cream sammies via Kindred Live

Once Upon a Chef has great instructions on how to make them with Nabisco Chocolate Wafers

And the Kitchn takes it all one step further by using fresh hot cookies.

 I will have to try these bites of mint chocolate deliciousness!


Ice cream sammie made with brownies and mint ice cream via Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment